The hotel and catering sector is a rapidly growing industry. Hotels and catering businesses offer exciting employment opportunities and ideal work environments for first-time job seekers and young professionals alike.
Working in the hotel and catering industry is guaranteed to be an enriching experience. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy from working in this industry:
- You can make people happy. Whether you’re stationed at the front desk or in the kitchen, you can make your customers’ day.
- You can be creative. A people-oriented industry allows you to be creative – your product is the food or the experience you provide. There’s an endless opportunity to make every experience more satisfying for your customers.
- It opens you up to a diverse culture. The skills you get from being in this industry can open doors for a job opportunity overseas.
- You’re not stuck in a 9-5 desk job. A hotel and/or catering career offers variety – not just in your work hours, but also in your activities while you work.
- It’s a wise career choice. People always need food and accommodation while travelling.
The above are just a few good things about this industry. You should have the following characteristics and skills if you wish to excel in this field:
- Committed and passionate. You should be committed and passionate about providing customer satisfaction all the time.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills. You’ll interact with different kinds of people with different personalities, and you need to communicate with them every day. You should always have a positive connection with your guests and clients.
- Team player. You’ll also be working with a group of people. You need to work well to ensure that you provide customer satisfaction each time. Aside from understanding your own role, you should be able to work alongside other people.
- Working in a hotel or in a catering business is not your regular 9 to 5 desk job. You should be ready to work anytime you’re needed.